Rules for Ballston Village Cemetery Plein Air Painting Contest
- There will be four categories: Oil and Acrylic; Watercolor; Pastel; and Drawing. Pastel will include, charcoal, chalk, and oil pastels. Drawing will include marker, ink, pencil and the like. Any work which spans categories will be classed as determined by the judge as the category it mostly fits.
- For each category there will be awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of $100, $75, and $50, respectively. Recognition will be given to honorable mentions. There will be a Best of Show awarded $150, in addition to category winners.
- By entering work in the contest, each artist will permit that piece to be exhibited for up to 45 days at locations determined by the Ballston Spa Village Cemetery Association. All pieces will be offered for sale during the show, unless the artist specifies the art is not for sale. By entering in the show, the artist agrees to a commission to the owner of the venue in the amount of 25% of the sale price. Sales tax will be collected by the venue owner and given to the artist to report to the NYS Tax Department. The artist will allow the Ballston Village Cemetery Association to use his or her entry(ies) on any of its advertising, website, and other electronic venues, with credit and copyright to the artist. All entries must be labeled on the back with the artist’s name; phone numbers; physical, postal, and email addresses; title of work, and asking price or if “nfs.”
- The artist may enter as many pieces as desired, although the cemetery association reserves the right to limit or refuse entries. Each piece must be presented in a manner that will allow it to be hung in display without the hanging committee having to add anything to the presentation. No entry shall be larger than 18” by 24”.
- The title of each entry must include the following words in no particular order or context, “Ballston,” “Village,” and “Cemetery.”
- All work must be done at the Ballston Spa Village Cemetery between May 13, 2018 and September 20, 2018 and the subject must be a view recognizable in the cemetery. It is presumed the bulk of the work will be done outside, with minimal studio work.
- Artists will use due care while in the cemetery and assume all risks while on the grounds and hold the Ballston Spa Village Cemetery Association free from liability for any loss or damage to person or property of the artist or the artist’s invitees, guests, or representatives. The artist is responsible for insuring each entry, and the Ballston Spa Village Cemetery Association, owners or operators of display space, and volunteers, contractors, or employees of the same shall not be held liable for damage to the art.
- Entries must be presented to 132 Bath Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020, office of cemetery board member, John J. Cromie [518-885-8451], between September 15 and 21, 2018. Entries may be picked up at the end of the display or at 132 Bath Street no later than 10 days after the art’s display has closed. The Ballston Spa Village Cemetery Association its volunteers, officers, or employees shall not be responsible for any work not picked up after the ten-day period and may dispose of it without further liability to the artist.
The Plein Air Show will be mounted at the Ballston Spa Public Library. The show begins on Tuesday, October 9 and will run to Saturday, November 3. A reception will be held on Saturday, October 13 from 11:00 to 2:00. The public can meet participating artists at that time. Most all works will be for sale. 25% of the sale price will benefit the library.
NOTE TO ARTISTS: The deadline for submissions is being extended. We understand life can get in the way of planned schedules. If entries are a week and a half late, we can handle it. Questions? Please call John Cromie at 518-885-8451.